Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Chess

Well, it happened. Stephen has beat me twice in a row at chess. He's developed a way of recording every move, which he diligently studies after each game. He plays chess on the computer daily. He's become so proficient it's a real struggle for me to beat him.

The last time we played, he let me know that "you have to control the middle of the board to win." So I thought I'd have a little fun. I kept moving my knight out and then put him back. Stephen scratched his head and said, "what you're doing doesn't make any sense. You can't win doing that."

I replied, "well, Stephen, I'm in a defensive posture. I'm waiting for you to attack before I move my pieces into place. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense."

He thought about it for a moment, and said, "maybe, but I'm going to control the middle of the board and you're going to lose."

I made a number of erratic moves that Stephen couldn't quite figure out. I was seeing how well he could handle the unexpected. He simply ignored moves that made no sense and continued to execute his strategy with great discipline.

He beat me. Deservedly, so, I might add.

No comments: